On the 11th of December we wished a tiny human a happy 3rd birthday and on the 17th we celebrated her. Mila’s dino themed party was held at Audacia Wines at Root 44 in the tree-house. It was the perfect party for the our little three-rex.
I’m no party planner but I can tell you that being prepared is key to anything in life, especially when it comes to events for tiny tots. If you’ve had a tough time planning parties before or if you’re just looking for a simple guideline to follow then scroll down and find what I’ve found to be the essential tips to surviving a the planning experience and most of all, the actual kids party.
How to plan a successful birthday party:
1. Involve your child. Ask him/her what their favourite character or item is. She loves dinosaurs and the theme was one that I was totally excited for.
2. Have him/her show you what their favourite colour is. Each year Mila has a favourite colour, this year it’s yellow.
3. Pinterest for inspiration!
4. Find a designer to turn your vision into reality. I have been working with Kirstin of Paper Planes for 4 years and I’ve never been disappointed.
5. Get the right baker! If you’re invested in what your child eats then I suggest you start early to ensure that your baker is willing to cut out certain things or substitute ingredients for ones you’d like.
6. Venue is everything! Consider the parents as well as the kids.
7. Entertainment is key. Make sure that you’re not just stuffing the kids with awesome treats but also that there is a place for them to run around, have their face painted or do something stimulating.
8. Party favours are essential. Instead of sending a bag full of sweets and chips, choose things that won’t drive parents up the wall like a small toy (that the child won’t choke on), bubbles, a game and coconut water instead of a fizzy or sugary drink. Think about including a bath bomb to help the little one wind down for sleepy time.
9. Parent corner. Designate an area that is for the parents.
10. Photos and fun. Ensure that your phone and camera are charged. Arrive early to take photos of the decor at your venue and then snap candid photos of the kids as the day progresses.
11. Medical kit. You are dealing with little kids, a scrape or bruse is inevitable. Ensure that you have bandaids, antiseptic and cottons pads on hand. Wet wipes are essentails so make sure you have a hypoallergenic pack on hand for mishaps.
Photography by yours truly.
PS. If you have any awesome tips then leave them in the comments bar below. I’m sure moms and dads will appreciate it!